Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Cheesy Serrano Sour Cream Sauce

One of my neighbors gave me a paper sack with a few handfuls of serrano peppers inside. I'd never used them before, so I did a little research. On the Scoville Scale, serranos are about 5 times hotter than jalapenos. That had me a little concerned, but I was still game to try them. Since we have a good supply of Chicken Enchiladas in the freezer, I decided to bake some for supper and make a spicy cream sauce to top them. And so this sauce was made from my imagination.

2-3 serrano peppers, seeded and finely diced
†2/3 c. sour cream (full fat)
†2/3 c. shredded Mexican blend cheese

†Measurements are rough estimates. I "eyeballed" amounts.

Heat peppers and sour cream over low heat, stirring frequently. Once warm, stir in cheese, stirring frequently until melted. Top enchiladas with sauce and additional shredded cheese.

If you don't have serrano peppers, jalapenos will also work.

No comments: