Thursday, July 3, 2008

Southwestern Cornbread Salad


1 6-oz. pkg. Mexican cornbread mix
1 bottle Ranch salad dressing
1 small head lettuce, shredded
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 15-oz. can black beans, drained
1 15-oz. can whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, drained
1 8-oz. pkg. shredded Mexican blend cheese
6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
5 green onions, chopped

Prepare cornbread as directed on package; cool and crumble. Set aside.

Layer a large bowl with half each of cornbread, lettuce, tomatoes, beans, corn, cheese, bacon, and onions. Spoon dressing evenly over top. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients, and top again with dressing.

Serve immediately or cover and chill for a few hours.

*This salad presents beautifully in a trifle or other large glass bowl, but it tends to get soggy if left overnight. When I know the whole thing won't be eaten at one meal, I prepare each serving bowl separately, saving the leftover ingredients to make fresh salads the next day.

*The original recipe calls for Romaine lettuce, but I use whatever I have on hand. I love adding fresh spinach to it.

2 comments:

Jjlrdomom said...

I'm looking for quick, easy, summery dishes to make, and this looks like just the thing. What is mexican cornbread though? Do I just add southwestern type seasonings? Glenn's tired of the stuff I make so I'm supposed to magically come up with a bunch of yummy, new, ideas. yeah....sure! :)

Thanks!
Amy

Keith McGee said...

My wife and I made this last night, and it was pretty good.